Curriculum Vitae: Library Science, Robert Chrystal
Master of Library and Information Science, 2010
Drexel University iSchool, Philadelphia, PA
Bachelor of Arts in Biblical (and Ancient) Literature, 1996
Northwest University, Kirkland, WA, minor: Russian
Principal Professors and Teachers
Kate McCain - Drexel University iSchool (Content Representation, Indexing and Cataloging)
Xia Lin - Drexel University Collections (Digital Library Systems and Technology)
Allison Miller - Internet Public Library Reference Services Manager
Toni Carbo - Drexel University (Information Ethics)
Eileen Abels - Drexel University (Digital Reference Services)
Librarian and Technology Skills and Qualifications
- Proven expertise in electronic and print research, producing accurate and relevant results.
- Advanced Boolean Searching
- Controlled Vocabularies and Thesauri - LCSH, AAT, TGM, etc.
- Dialog, Lexis Nexus
- Google Scholar
- and others...
- Expert, practical knowledge of Microsoft Office (XP, 2003, 2007, 2010). Recognized as a creative multimedia presentation and document creator using
- Microsoft Word
- Proficient use of
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Dreamweaver
- Educational use of
- Greenstone DLS
- Fedora DLS
- Content Management Systems (Drupal and Joomla).
- Led teams of students to implement online digital libraries at Drexel University.
- Exceptional skills in
- Information storage/retrieval
- Electronic and print reference research,
- XML (DTD, Schema, XSLT, CSS), MARC, MODS, METS, Dublin Core Metadata
- Social Bookmarking
- Website design
- Wiki creation and use
- Information Architecture
- Metadata analysis
- Effective practical and supervisory skills
- Recognized for commitment to customers and clients, attention to detail, professionalism, and follow-up.
- Plan, supervise, and evaluate workflow processes and events, ensuring highest levels of customer service.
- Strong written/verbal communication and time management skills, goal setting and project completion.
- Easily adapt to working on teams or independently.
- Resourceful, energetic, competent, multi-task and results-oriented.
- Ability to lead and to follow.
- Recognized as adept in building long-term business relationships.
- Trained in needs-assessment.
- Well-developed listening and complaint resolution skills
- Creative and musical talent.
- Devoted to cultural and economic diversity
- Everyday business etiquette, and problem solving.
Library and Reference Experience
Baltimore County Public Library, Towson, MD (2004-present)
Collection Development Department: Circulation Assistant III - Receiving
- Six years experience with various genres (print and non-print) with a specialty in non-fiction and audiovisual materials.
- Work with minimal supervision.
- Serve on the Customer Service and Diversity Training Committee as a facilitator
- Work closely with librarians and catalogers.
- Create PowerPoint presentations for meetings.
- Use Polaris and the Internet proficiently for reference research.
- Experienced in classification, indexing, MARC and MODS XML, and Dublin Core.
- Provide competent and friendly internal customer service. Teamwork oriented.
Internet Public Library - ipl2, Philadelphia, PA (2009-2010)
- Demonstrated ability to meet the reference needs of patrons.
- Use clear, concise communication skills in conjunction with organizational skills to serve online patrons.
- Creator of the Connections Choir Music Library
- Director of the Connections Choir
- Video Editor and Producer of the Connections Choir YouTube Video Library
Customer Service and Relationship-Building Experience
Balfour Class Rings (LGB Associates), Baltimore, MD (2003-2004)
Customer Service Representative
- Provided class ring and graduation information to parents and teens. Assisted sales people at ten high school locations.
- Maintained all office computers, troubleshooting Windows and Mac systems and Microsoft Office.
Mercy for Russia, Southern Russia (1996-2003)
Humanitarian, Musician, Public Speaker, Teacher
- Led teams of volunteers and professionals into poverty-stricken and war-ravaged areas in the Northern Caucasus region to serve individuals and communities.
- Flexible amidst changing priorities and constant interruptions.
- Provided training sessions, gave seminars, created newsletters and multimedia presentations using Microsoft Office to help churches and communities.
- Offered English courses to youth in three cities.
- Built long-term relationships with my American financial support base in five states to which I gave lectures and concerts while on furlough.
- Visited families and community organizations in Russia to help support the needy.
- Visited the sick and infirm at home and in local hospitals.
- Visited and created programs for orphans in three cities.
Activities and Committees
Electronic Database Evaluation Committee, BCPL, Towson, MD (2008-2010)
Customer Service and Diversity Training Committee, BCPL, Towson, MD (2007-2011)
Facilitator/Trainer, Committee Member, and Training Manual Editor
Published Work and Samples
- Internet Public Library (ipl2) Newsletter/Blog
- Internet Public Library (ipl2) Blog/Newsletter: September, 2010 Issue
- Internet Public Library (ipl2) Blog/Newsletter: August, 2010 Issue
- Internet Public Library (ipl2) Blog/Newsletter: July, 2010 Issue
- Internet Public Library (ipl2) Blog/Newsletter: June, 2010 Issue
- Internet Public Library (ipl2) Blog/Newsletter: May, 2010 Issue
- Most Recent Multimedia PowerPoint Presentations (pdf format)
- Web Designer and Webmaster for Singing A-Z
- a non-profit chorus in Washington, D.C.: Visit the Singing A-Z Site
- Site Re-designer and Consultant for Singer Source
- Washington D.C.'s premier place for musicians to connect: Visit a Sample Page
- Manager, Accompanist, Composer, and Site Designer/Programmer for
- Chris Jones, baritone: Visit Chris's Website
Avid Reader and Life-Long Learner
History, historical fiction, communication, computer and internet related books, world religions, spirituality, linguistics, health, psychology, self-help, children's books, horror and mystery, cooking and home organization, classical fiction.
Health and Human Services
Humanitarian work, compassion, helping others, family and friends, and learning about latest medical advances and alternative treatments.
Internet and Web Design Languages
Learning computer languages (XHTML, CSS, PHP, and XML), social networking and book marking, website design, content management systems, online foreign language courses, and Wii.
Culture and Music
Opera, classical music, pop and jazz, alternative rock, coffee cafes, tea, wine and food pairing, NPR junkie, and learning about other cultures and travel.
Movie and DVD
Documentaries, National Geographic specials, Frontline, Nova, History Channel series, independent film, classic children’s animated series, Disney and Pixar animation, political and psychological thrillers.
Available upon request.